Comic Jam!

Discussion in 'The Arts' started by ectocal, Sep 18, 2014.

1. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

At a comic jam, a comic is drawn one panel at a time...but each panel is drawn by a different person.

Anyone who's interested in participating (or if you are participating and want out), reply in this thread. I'll make changes to the next turn order accordingly.

After everyone's taken a turn, that comic is over, and we get started on another one with a new turn order. Turn orders are randomized, but everyone will get a turn going first and everyone will get a turn going last.

LET'S GOOOO!!

THE RULES:
    If you want in (or out), say so! If you make a post in this thread that you want to be included in the next turn order, you will be! This also includes you in future turn orders. If for whatever reason--like if you get too busy or if you realize you just hate fun--you don't want to be included anymore, say so, and you'll be taken out of the order.

Take as long as you need to make your panel! There is no time limit. But if you know it's gonna be too long (like, if giraffes might evolve the ability to communicate in Japanese by the time you're done), it might be a good idea to not participate until you've sorted out everything. Again, there's no time limit, but remember the other participants. Taking longer than a month is no fun for anyone.

Turn orders are random! Everyone will get a chance to go first, and everyone will get a chance to go last, but other than that, WHO KNOWS?!? I certainly don't! I can't predict the future!

Draw more than one panel if you have to! In a classical comic jam, everyone would only be drawing one panel. But we'd also be physically sitting next to each other around a table, waiting for our turn to come in real time, instead of checking back the next day. We'd also probably be eating marshmallows. So if the mood you're going for takes more than one panel to get across, go for it! Just remember you're only contributing a part of a longer story. (Hint: If you're going first, and the comic is titled "Chapter One" and is 47 pages long, maybe try to condense it a bit, huh?)

Have fun! Because apparently we're all in a middle school soccer league, this is a rule!

THE JAMBOOK:
    First comic: The Eye
    ectocal
    [​IMG]

Tesseract
    [​IMG]

Siranae
    [​IMG]

inexpediency
    [​IMG]

gingerale
    [​IMG]

Triangle Man
    [​IMG]

Varkarrus
    [​IMG]

Almost Human
    [​IMG]

Second Comic: The Detective
    gingerale
    [​IMG]

Siranae
    [​IMG]

Tesseract
    [​IMG]

ectocal
    [​IMG]

inexpediency
    [​IMG]

Varkarrus
    [​IMG]

Triangle Man
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  2. Tesseract

Tesseract Regrets Choices Thus Far

3. inexpediency

inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

4. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member B├╝rgermeister

I want in! My net is crazy busted right now though so I may have to sit out a round or two depending on when I get settled in to my new place.
  5. gingerale

gingerale Dread Pirate

Sure why not. I'll do it.
  6. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

Do we need to have any drawing talent whatsoever to pull this off?
  7. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

Nope. As long as we can at least tell what it is you were trying to draw.

Believe me, if you had to have artistic talent, I couldn't do this either.

I can just make you go last for this first one. I'd imagine it'd take a while for people to produce their panel. Although I have no idea how long you expect to be moving into your new place.

I'm gonna wait another day for any stragglers and then we can get started.
  8. Triangle Man

I think I can dig this, then!
  9. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

All right, let's get this started.

First comic: 8 panels

PANEL 1: ectocal
    PANEL 2: Tesseract
    PANEL 3: Siranae
    PANEL 4: inexpediency
    PANEL 5: gingerale
    PANEL 6: Triangle Man
    PANEL 7: Varkarrus
    PANEL 8: Almost Human

Take as long as you need to make your panel. If you feel like backing out, say so before your turn comes.

We'll do another comic after this one; to sign up for that one, say so while this one is being produced. After this first one is over, I'll randomize a turn order, and the thread will continue indefinitely like this.

I'll edit these rules into the OP later. But for now...
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2014
  10. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

Here's our first panel:

[​IMG]

Tess, you're up.
  11. Tesseract

Tesseract Regrets Choices Thus Far

12. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

Can I join in?
  13. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

Sure, I'll toss you in at the end there
  14. inexpediency

inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

15. gingerale

gingerale Dread Pirate

Since nobody went ahead and defined the characters further I saw the chance and took it!

[​IMG]
  16. Triangle Man

17. ectocal

ectocal Hapster

As a reminder or note to anyone who may be confused:

Everyone draws only one panel per comic. After everyone has taken a turn, this comic is over. It's up to the final person to produce a punchline (in this case, AH).

After the last panel, we'll do another one, with a new turn order.

It's looking great so far. Thanks, everyone.
  18. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class