Comics Chat: I Shall Become A Chat!

Discussion in 'Pop Culture' started by inexpediency, Jul 19, 2011.

1. inexpediency

inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

Talk about your Batmans and your X-Mens here!

Post things from comics you think are super-rad, super-hilarious, super-terrible, or all of the above!

Debate on which of two characters would win in fights to the death!

Also acceptable subject matter for this thread: movies based on comics, TV shows based on comics, music based on comics, snack foods based on comics, and comics based on comics.
  2. MadameSB

MadameSB Hot blooded

Family Circus is not funny.
    it will never be funny.
    it should stop being published.
    [/complaining]

Hello new thread!
    Smells good.
    But how do all of you feel about movies based on comics not always sticking to the comic as much as it probably should?
    Is it good, or bad?
  3. inexpediency

I think it depends on how it's handled. I mean, with some continuities that have been going on for decades, there is an obscenely large amount of subject matter that could be covered. A director has to find a good balance of keeping the essence of a story, while at the same time not only simplifying it to not only be suitable for an entirely different medium, but to be accessible to audiences who haven't read the comic. A lot, obviously, would have to be cut out (just like when making a movie from a book) and some key aspects might even be changed, but if the reason for these changes is, well, a reasonable one, and if the director is able to preserve the real heart of the story, then I don't see any problem with that.

(And I will admit that my secret dream is to direct a trilogy about the Flash. Dangit, nobody do it until I get to film school, okay!?)
  4. Cucurbita

Cucurbita Filled with Candy

This title reminds me of the book Soon I Shall Be Invincible

It was about some supervillain who did villainy stuff.

It was good.
  5. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

There was supposed to be a Flash movie with Ryan Reynolds as Wally.
    HOW PERFECT WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN??

Honestly, I hate when they stick to the comics perfectly. Why? Because I've read the comics. I don't need to see the same thing in motion. I have no interest in seeing something I just saw, even if it does have a bigger budget.
    I'd rather see them take an idea or character and do something different with it.
    Thor was fun because even though it wasn't something new, it was something new for Thor.
    Dark Knight was boring because it was the same Batman doing the same thing I've seen a million times.
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was a terrible movie (that I love) that tried to do something very different with characters and setting and it was fun in a very stupid kind of way. I love and own the original comics, but wasn't upset to see something different.
    Constantine, on the other hand, moved WAY too far away from it's source. It changed every character, every role, the settings and the very world it's set in. It wasn't at all Hellblazer so putting the name on it didn't even make sense.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's very hit and miss, but I'd rather see them try something different and fail then them play it safe and show me the same thing I've seen a million times before.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
  6. inexpediency

Woah woah woah are you being serious right now. That would have been amazing!

like I can't even

aaah why did they not make that??
  7. Almost Human

Too many writers, too many rewriters.
    Which flash, which storyline blah blah blah
    Project Dropped, Almost Human's Heart broken. This was my one chance to get a real Flash ring (I love comic movie merch) and it is gone. I've mourned, I've moved on.
  8. inexpediency

Aww, that's disappointing.

But at least I can comfort myself with the bajillion clips on Youtube of Wally being a huge goof.

[video=youtube;3M63oLb2YiM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M63oLb2YiM[/video]
    [video=youtube;N-zbG9C-n3E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-zbG9C-n3E&feature=related[/video]
    [video=youtube;Lkz_ccWOm5g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkz_ccWOm5g[/video]

(How that last one made it onto a kids' show is beyond me, but I'm so glad it did.)
  9. Almost Human

Justice League Wally was a Blast. Just a total Blast. They could not have handled him better. The episode where the Flash Museum really showed off how different he is from the other heroes.
    Ignoring the fact that Captain effing Boomerang killed Tim Drake's Dad. What the fuck comics.
    What the fuck.
    Don't even get me started on Bart's Death.

Now I'm going to start a Segment I like to call:
    Comics from AH's collection that you probably haven't read!

Where to start where to start....
    Any Power Pack fans?
    What?
    Who are the Power Pack?
    Well let's find out in: Thor and the Warriors Four!
    [​IMG]
    So this is the Power Pack. They usually just run around with their Space Horse Powers and have light hearted adventures but our tone starts off a bit more somber this time...
    [​IMG]
    Thankfully, an suspiciously helpful nurse gives them a book with the answer they need:
    [​IMG]
    They run into the Pet Avengers and one fight later Frog Thor opens the Bifrost Bridge to the Kids.
    [​IMG]
    Interested? It's a four part mini that is just as fun as it looks. The power Pack is always fun though!

This is just to ease you in, I'll preview something a bit more obscure next time.
    Heard of something I might know of? Drop a suggestion If I have it or have access to it, I'll preview it here!
    (apparently I can only post 4 pictures per post. Maddening!)
  10. inexpediency

Hey, that looks really neat! I might have to check that out sometime. And the coloring is just gorgeous; who did the coloring on that?

By the way, I found that Impulse/Robin ski trip thing you told me about. I find it absolutely hilarious that Tim recognized Bart immediately by the size of his feet.
  11. Bandages

Bandages Dr. Stringz

Any well-drawn or well thought out series that employs a gravity-power based superhero/villain is automatically a win
  12. Almost Human

Team Gurihiru did all the art, so the colours would be by Kawano.
    I should ask before I bombard I guess, do you guys want these previews or will they just gunk up the thread?
  13. inexpediency

I'm always up for seeing new stuff. I might even preview some Madman, myself, since Madman is for real amazing and everyone should read it all the time.
  14. Bandages

Bandages Dr. Stringz

The whole point of this thread is to be gunked up with comic stuff

Gunk on, you crazy diamond
  15. Almost Human

Well then in that case, How do you guys feel about obscure Brit Pop and Music based Magic?

[​IMG]

I'll post a full preview tomorrow!
  16. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

Every though you've ever had.

Would take out a good portion of the internet in my case :p

An idea can grow real fast!
  17. Almost Human

Seth Bingo is an Elitist Bastard who seeks out to destroy all who even slightly disagree with him.
    If he could make good on that threat, he would.
    He is kind of crazy.
    And one of my favorite characters for his unjustified music based rage.
  18. DevilEd

DevilEd Call me BellaDante

What is that from AH.
  19. He said fully erect

He said fully erect /kill self

I think it's a good thing, for a few reasons. The first being obviously that it's always more interesting to see a different take on something than it is to see a familiar one, but also there's the fact that the pacing of a comic series of almost any length is inherently very different from the pacing and structure of a film. On top of that, some changes can be improvements! Remember, lots of comics (or games, or books, or anything really) that get made into movies aren't that great to begin with.

Also, fandom culture is really dumb and anything that annoys them is okay by me :heh:
  20. Almost Human

Phonogram: Singles Club.
    It's a Seven Part piece set in the same world (but not really a sequel too) Phonogram: Rue Brittania.
    I wont be previewing Rue though, I don't own it.
    Whoops!