Discworld - Ankh-Morpork's Finest Literature

Discussion in 'The Arts' started by qiam, Jul 16, 2011.

1. qiam

qiam Guest

[​IMG]

This is the thread to be discussing your favorite animes, Discworld.

The Discworld books are about the inhabitants of a flat world which is balanced by four (formerly five) elephants who are standing on the back of a gigantic turtle who flies through space.

If this doesn't give you a general idea of what these novels are like, you are thick.

To say that Discworld is a parody of epic fantasy novels would be rather insulting, because as far as I am concerned, Discworld should be classified as something like super-parody. Or mega-fantasy. Something along those lines.

It has a bamillion characters so I'm not going to bother to list them all. Besides, if I were to do that, I would have to summarize each and every one of them and that's just belittling Pratchett's work, so read the books yourself!

Discworld homepage
    Discworld wiki
  2. Katt

Katt Guest

...Discworld anime...Not sure if want.

Anyway, has anyone else played the Discworld games? Eric Idle is forever Rincewind.
  3. Triangle Man

Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

I think the first book in the series I read was 'Thief of Time'.

After that I went on a massive binge and Discworld became my major reading material for like several years.

And I have never played the Discworld games.
  4. Katt

Katt Guest

You should check the first and second ones out. They were my intro into Discworld and since reading the books, the games became 1000x funnier. So many little in-jokes.

Here's a classic scene with Death: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnFr65RXdk8
  5. DevilEd

DevilEd Call me BellaDante

My first book was "Thief of time" too. A nerdy friend of mine suggested the series to me, and I started reading from there. I had the series on my Nook, till it broke.
  6. Varkarrus

Varkarrus I have class

I like the pictures in The Last Hero.
  7. qiam

qiam Guest

i don't remember my first one

it was probably The Colour of Magic, though, since i like to go chronologically through these things

Vimes is definitely my favorite
  8. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

I have the "City watch Omnibus' with Guards! Guards! , Men at Arms and Feet of Clay to thank for getting me into the Discworld.

Now I own almost every book he's written, seen the BBC Hogfather and Colour of Magic minis and own the Colour of magic/light fantastic graphic novel, have artbooks, maps, cookbooks, companions.... I'm a little bit of a fan :)
  9. qiam

qiam Guest

wow that's pretty cool. you're certainly a bigger fan than i am.

too bad i already made the thread. B)
  10. Almost Human

Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

Meh, I don't want to seem like 'that kind' of fan so I don't talk much about my obsessions, thus I don't make threads for them either. Just figured if anyone wanted to talk about any aspect of the Discworld or any of Pratchett's books, I was open to lively discussion.
    I don't mean to sound fanboyish, I didn't even mention how I actually made it through the first discworld point and click, and halfway through the second before I started tearing out my hair in frustration or how I'm excited to see the "Going Postal" movie, since that and Making Money are two of my most reread books, and I'm really hoping that we get to see 'Snuff' released. I didn't even mention that I'm a bit tired of Tiffany Aching, but if she keeps inspiring him, I'm willing to see more of her. Oh and I would hate to be the kind that prattles on about how I can't reread "Nation" because it breaks my heart too badly or how that book hits me at an emotional level that I don't think any other media has before.
    No no, I avoided all that so that I wouldn't sound like a ravving fanboy, but I guess just listing things might sound like bragging or like I'm an elitist of some sort. :p

All teasing aside, it all boils down to: Yes I'm a fan, yes I enjoy it. But I wouldn't say I'm a bigger fan than anyone else, I've just had a chance to acquire more. I'm sure if anyone who posts in here had access to these things, they'd probably have read/played/seen just as much as I have.

Weirdest part? I find myself rereading certain ones, like "Eric" and "Pyramids" even though they're not even close to the top of my list of favorites. I guess just because they're so easy to get through? Anyone else find that?
  11. qiam

qiam Guest

really i only actually talk about the things i really like a lot. i mean i'm a fan of a lot of things but the only time i even talk about the things i like are when they're in my favorite things ever. the fact that i joined the MSPA forums in the first place is a pretty gigantic testament to how much i like it, but even while i was there, i very rarely actually posted in the MSPA discussion forum

and i made the adventure time thread on the MSPA forums which is a clear sign that i like adventure time quite a bit

people shouldn't be a dick about the things they don't like, but they shouldn't be manic spazzes about the things they do like, you know? people are allowed to like things a lot

Lexxy said it best here:
    everyone has the freedom to like things a lot but no one should be that guy

lately i have been staying off of tumblr because at the moment, everyone is being that guy about harry potter ugh
  12. kaos

kaos Currently doing Nanowrimo (<-Shame badge)

Just reread Moist's books.

The dude is awesome.

I think I like him even more than Vimes.
  13. Draga

Draga Cat Scratch Fever

I dunno. I do like Moist but Vimes and the Watch are always no.1 in my mind =3
  14. qiam

qiam Guest

yeah no Moist is cool but Vimes is insanely cool if you need to be reassured of his greatness just reread Night Watch or Thud! where he really shines

Vetinari is equally awesome but I like Vimes better sooooo
  15. Draga

Draga Cat Scratch Fever

Thud! is both my first Discworld book I read AND my favourite. I think the 2nd book I read was Wee Free Men
  16. Exmoose

Exmoose Guest

Does anyone at all play the Discworld MUD?