Like Steel

Discussion in 'Textventures' started by inexpediency, Jul 13, 2011.

  1. inexpediency

    inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

    A bar of steel—it is only
    Smoke at the heart of it, smoke and the blood of a man.
    A runner of fire ran in it, ran out, ran somewhere else,
    And left—smoke and the blood of a man
    And the finished steel, chilled and blue.
    -Carl Sandburg



    The first thing you're aware of, as the worms of consciousness gnaw their way forward, is the heat. It swirls around you, immense and unrelenting; you feel like you're going to drown in it. There's something rough and knotted underneath you, pressing little rivets into your skin. After a moment you register that you must be lying down.

    You try to sit up, but the sharp throbbing of your head forces you right back down. It takes ages for the world to come into focus, and as you sit, alone and lost behind the failure of your own senses, the sharp pinpricks of panic begin to work their way into your stomach.

    When your vision finally clears, you realize something: you have no idea where you are.

    But there is one thing you can figure out on your own: you're in a forest, and the forest in question is very much on fire. There's a small brown square next to your foot. In the distance, a thick red-and-black haze has settled over everything. With each breath, you take in a little bit more smoke. The smell of it makes you want to vomit.

    You don't know how you got here, or what's going on. In fact, you can't remember anything.

    So what will you do?
  2. Almost Human

    Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

    > Take off shirt. It's much to hot to have it on. Actually yeah, and wrap it around your face to try to block out some of the smoke.

    >Check out brown square
  3. inexpediency

    inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

    You do so, removing your jacket first to use your t-shirt as an air filter. It reeks of sweat, but that's at least a step up from the smoke; maybe it'll keep you from throwing up. You put the jacket back on to protect you from any flaming debris.

    You pick up the square, which you quickly recognize as a leather wallet, and decide it must have fallen out of your pocket. Inside you find seven dollar bills and thirty-two cents in change, as well as a freshly-laminated driver's license and several wallet-sized photos.

    The charred skeleton of a tree falls somewhere in the distance as the fire roars on around you.

    Taking off shirts is your answer to everything, AH.
  4. Varkarrus

    Varkarrus I have class

    Check drivers license for photo and name.
  5. Almost Human

    Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

    I know! It's only after I'd already written it that I realized it could actually be useful in this situation.

    >Put the money in your pocket in case the wallet gets stolen. Look for an exit that isn't covered in fire.
  6. inexpediency

    inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

    You pocket the measly bit of cash you found, hoping that it might come in handy later. It dawns on you that you should be trying to get to a safer place, but first, you want to take a look at that license you found.

    The picture shows a teenage boy--you--with messy red hair, bright green eyes, and a smattering of freckles. According to the license you are 5'9" and seventeen years old, and you live in New Capital. There's a small stamp in the corner that looks like a triangle with some lines inside, but you're not really sure what it means.

    None of this looks at all familiar, though you know that it's yours.

    You look to the name, hoping that it will at least jog your memory. It is...?
  7. Triangle Man

    Triangle Man Cautiously Optimistic

  8. Varkarrus

    Varkarrus I have class

    wait.

    Is the triangle...

    ...[​IMG]
  9. Almost Human

    Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

    > [strk]Almost Human [/strk] Dirk Pecwell.

    Edit: Well my strike tag didn't work. That's embaressing.
  10. Maydame

    Maydame (ノಥಿ ೪ಥ)ノ*:・゚✧

    Ethan Conley
  11. Varkarrus

    Varkarrus I have class

    William Hayton
  12. inexpediency

    inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

    Your name is Ethan Elliot Conley.

    ...Doesn't ring a bell. It's on your license, though, so it must be right.

    You put the card and wallet back in your jeans pocket, alongside the money. The distant red haze is growing brighter every minute, and you figure that you'd better find a way out of the forest before the fire catches up with you.

    You struggle to your feet, leaning heavily against an old oak tree for support. But even that simple action makes your head reel, and after a few moments of uneasy swaying, you lean over and vomit, then proceed to black out on the forest floor.

    ---

    You're now a teenage girl, hundreds of miles away, and the world has just exploded before your eyes.

    Just ten minutes ago you had been watching an "I Love Lucy" marathon in your living room when your placid boredom was interrupted by a disturbing announcement from the Sovereignty.

    Five minutes ago, the world around you erupted into thunder and flames.

    And now, you're on your family's four-wheeler, with your arms wrapped around your twelve-year-old brother as you try desperately to escape. You can either take your chances on the highway with all the other frantic people, or take a dirt road into the woods to look for your father's fishing cabin.

    So which is it? And for that matter, who are you, anyway?


    Haha, no, but that would be pretty rad, so you can pretend it's that if you want to.
  13. Varkarrus

    Varkarrus I have class

    Your name is Amy Stonewalker
  14. atomic

    atomic ⓛ̸ⓘ҉̀͝ⓣ̸҉ⓔⓡ͜ⓐ̸ⓛ͞ⓛ͡͏ⓨ ͏͡͠ ̀

    your name is Sincerity Blue

    >take your chances on the highway, that's a good idea right
  15. Almost Human

    Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

    Your name is [strk]Kelly Grady [/strk] no wait that's a terrible name Your name is Lacey Freeway, and you will take your 4 wheeler to trhe back roads and find your daddy's cabin.
  16. NotAPumpkin

    NotAPumpkin Game maker and tie breaker

    Your name is Blue Chipitty, and you are totally going for the cabin.
  17. Maydame

    Maydame (ノಥಿ ೪ಥ)ノ*:・゚✧

    Tara Adams, go into the woods
  18. inexpediency

    inexpediency Ruler of this [CHAT]

    Your name is Tara Stonewalker. Aside from your younger brother, Peter, you have three older sisters and an older brother, and you have no idea where they, or your parents, are. But right now, they're far from your highest priority.

    When the first bombs began to fall you had rushed upstairs to Peter's room, and as you tore him away from the window, it shattered, leaving your right arm bleeding and covered in burns. You don't know what's going on, exactly--you had never really trusted the Sovereignty's threats before--but you know that you have to get out and get out fast.


    Well, that settles it. You rev the engine and head into the woods, wrapping your injured arm around Peter as tightly as you can manage. Another explosion sounds behind you as you disappear into the foliage, and when the thunder dies, you can hear screaming for miles around.

    You try not to listen.


    ---

    You're now Ethan Conley, and as you wake again, three things occur to you: you're alive, the fire is gone, and you still can't remember anything.

    You cautiously slide to your feet, and find the action much easier than last time. The red haze, smoke, and oppressive heat are all gone, and while the ground (including yourself) is dusted with a layer of soot, it doesn't look like the fire ever got a chance to reach you. You guess it must have...rained, or something.

    The shirt wrapped around your mouth and nose is now thoroughly doused with sweat--not to mention black with ash and smoke--so you untie it and let it fall to the ground. You've still got your jacket, anyway, which is just as sweaty, but a little bit cleaner.

    Now that you're no longer in imminent danger, you can take a minute to think. You're out in the middle of the woods, you don't know who you are or how you got there, and you have no clue where to go.

    So...now what?
  19. biggs hoson

    biggs hoson ghosts need love too

    >Climb an tree not touched by the fire, observe surroundings.
  20. Almost Human

    Almost Human Mightest of the Drunks Staff Member Bürgermeister

    > Find the nearest water source. If it's clean, take a drink and scrub up a bit, then follow it to civilization. Water usually leads to civilization right?

Share This Page