WRESTLE[CHAT]: The Suplex Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture' started by Draga, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Draga

Draga Cat Scratch Fever

Ladies, gentlemen, manatees and hamsters, I'ma talk to you about a little thing called Pro Wrestling. If you don't like that, then fuck you I'm talking anyway.

I've been a wrstling fan since I was a little kid. What's not to like? You've got a bunch of big guys beating the crap out of each other and small guys doing all the flippy-doos, mixed with cheesy yet fun stories. You can't go wrong with that. So I'm making this thread to see if I can spread the virtues of the wrestlemens to your hearts

Reach out your hand, and you will touch my hand. Let me show you the world of suplexes and powerbombs.

CURRENT WRESTLING PROMOTIONS OF NOTE

[​IMG]

If you think of wrestling, you think of the WWE. The absolute juggernaut of the wrestling world, it is the biggest and most famous of all wrestling promotions and the one I'll talk about most. Has been around since 1952 and is currently owned by the founder's grandson Vince McMahon (a.k.a Vinnie Mac, a.k.a The Higher Power, a.k.a The Genetic Jackhammer.) It does have it's problems though, namely being that if you're not a main eventer, they don't care much about you, and that the writing and storylines can be pretty bad. Still hell good though if you can endure John Cena (fuck Cena)

[​IMG]

Oh boy, TNA. It tries so hard to be better than the WWE but fails so massively. The #2 wrestling promotion by default, TNA has some good point and many, many bad ones. Despite having so fantastic homegrown young wrestlers on it's roster, it relies too much on old washed up WWE and WCW stars in the hope that it will make them more popular. Somehow, it's storylines tend to be even worse than WWE's, which bogles my mind. But like I said, it does have some great homegrown talent, so you might want to check it out for that.

[​IMG]

Ring of Honor is one of the top indy feds in wrestling and is pretty much the #3 promotion. St they keep getting. Sadly, I don't watch ROH outside of a few matches but from what I've seen, it's damn good. Again, it has some utterly brilliant wrestlemens on it's roster, but many have jumped ship to the WWE. If there is one complaint I have about ROH, it's that it's production values are terrible.

[​IMG]

Ye gods, Chikara is so much fun. It's essentially what you get if you mix wrestling with comic books and cartoons. It doesn't take itself seriously, it's mathces manage to be both comedic and fun and quite frankly where else will you find an evil mantis-themed supervillain fight the prince of all goblins?
  2. Draga

Draga Cat Scratch Fever

CURRENT WRESTLERS OF NOTE: (click pictures for entrance theme)

[​IMG]

Jesus fuck, I hate John Cena. The WWE's top star, he is pretty much the current generation's Hulk Hogan but with less steroids and more being a smug immature asshole who they somehow want us to like. He actually used to be quite fun, with his gimmick being that he was a white-boy rapper who would trash talk his opponents and called himself the "Dr. of Thuganomics." Then he starred ina movie and everything went to shit.

Fuck Cena.

[​IMG]

Jesus fuck, I adore CM Punk. Pretty much the #2 guy in the WWE as of writing, CM Punk was one of ROH's biggest stars before coming to the WWE...where he was immediately treated like shit by the higher ups. Then in the summer of 2011, he decided to quit the WWE, but not before they let him explain his problems with the company. Then he won the WWE title and left the company as champion, before coming back the next month. He held onto the title until the Royal Rumble last month, having the longest title reign in the past 25 years.

Fuck yes, Punk is awesome.

[​IMG]

For a big, powerhouse hoss, Sheamus is actually pretty good. Making his debut on June 30, 2009, he managed to become the WWE champ only 6 months after debuting and has been one of the top guys in the company since. Is apparently workout buddies with McMahon's son-in-law Triple H, which many believe is the reason why he was pushed so high so quickly. He straight up kicks people's faces off for his finisher, which is always cool.

[​IMG]

My favourite guy in the WWE (until El Generico debuts), Daniel Bryan is considered one of the world's greatest wrestlers and my King of all Cosmos he lives up to it. Like Punk he was one of ROH's top guys, even being called one of it's Founding Fathers for helping to make it prominent. However, also like Punk, he was treated like shit by the WWE. You see, Vince McMahon doesn't like pushing wrestlers who he didn't make famous, so the American Dragon here was treated like an inexperienced rookie, then fired, then rehired and still not treated well. He managed to win the World Heavyweight title in 2011 but was made to act like a coward who only got by on luck. Then he was beaten in 18 seconds by Sheamus at WrestleMania in the opes that it would bury D-Bry and make Sheamus a bigger star. Instead, the fans give Bryan their undyling love and he is now one of the most popular guys in the company among fans

(I'll add more guys later)
  3. Draga

Draga Cat Scratch Fever

Ladys and mentlegen, last night's RAW was the greatest episode of RAW I have ever seen, and it's all thanks to the best crowd of any wrestling event ever.

And also Dolph Ziggler, new World Heavyweight Champion.

[video=youtube;wd-MMVEaW5M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd-MMVEaW5M[/video]